Wednesday 6 February 2013

Free Falling: Flying and Landing


After three weeks of goodbyes, I finally made it. My exodus was epic, took forever and I wouldn't have it any other way. I won't dwell on how sad it was; suffice it to say, I am currently writing this first post from a very happy, warm, comfortable bedroom with a gorgeous Italian playing guitar at the foot of the bed. 

Here's how I got here, what it's like, and what I'm doing tonight:

I got here by way of YYZ - LGW (London, Gatwick) - MXP (Milan-Malpensa) - Suzuki hatchback, all interspersed with tears, bursts of joyous lols and panic attacks. The airports were surprisingly and tankfully very easy to navigate. The biggest major hang up was the customs person at Gatwick who flabbergastedly questioned how it's possible I couldn't have printed out my travel documents, specifically my connecting flight. She almost didn't let me into the country as she exclaimed, "but how will you get on the next plane?!" while her head almost bobbed off her neck. I replied by saying no one has ever asked me for a print-out or confirmation number at any airline desk I've ever been to. I've provided them, but I've never been asked for them. My passport on the other hand, now that baby can get you places. She was shocked and looked at her fellow customs cronies for support, none of whom were listening. My passport finally got the stamp of approval and I sat for the next 5 hours waiting for my connecting flight. Dozzing off, jetting out of sleep with a gut wrenching dread that I'm making a mistake, reading East of Eden and perspiring in my three jackets and wool sweater (on account of weight restrictions), a unifrmed woman approached me and asked quite abruptly, targeting me out of over a hundred passengers: "can I ask you, how you got here?". This was it, they're sending me home!! She explained she was taking a survey for the airport, then went on to tell me how much traveling she has taken part in - over 25 years of bouncing around! This woman, who happened upon me minutes before I boarded to be with my love in Italy, imparted an unsolicited and emotional vote of confidence and inspiration at a moment that I needed it more than ever. She assured me whatever I'm doing, it's the right decision. No doubts, no regrets. Essentially what my friends and family had been telling me for months, but nice to hear in person, nonetheless. 

Let me now go on to explain what it is like. "It", to be clear, is being completely in love with someone who, yeah get ready for the sap, is your friend, and biggest fan; someone you respect in every capacity, and then move across the world to live with him, his mum, brother and two dogs. Last night, I landed around 9pm and being on Italian soil was an amazing feeling. I made it! I did it! Somehow, I felt like I was cheating the system, like I had gotten away with the biggest Thomas-Crown-Affair heist known to man! This couldn't be further from reality, as I opted out of diamond smuggling for this go-around -- that's how much I'm into this guy! 

Once home (home!), and fed (two kinds of pizza, one with eggplant, the other with peppers and zucchini, and cold beers to drink), we shut'er down for the night. I have to say, as the light went off, perhaps (certainly) because of the tiredness that comes with over 18 hours of travel, I felt the anxiety settle in. Breathing got a little tough and as much as I was so grateful to be in the arms I had been yearning to be in for so long, I couldn't help asking if I did the right thing. Catching my breath, I quickly went to my happy spot (waves slowly approaching the shore at Sauble Beach) and remembered the words of wisdom I'm carrying with me on this adventure. Subsiding my fears with all of YOUR supporting encouragement, my breathing went back to normal, and I slept like a baby. Thank you.

Today was gorgeous. 7 degrees, sunny and inviting outside. I guess I didn't realize just how close we are to the mountains. As we drove around, I kept squeeling about them. What? I've never lived around mountains, ok? We did some housekeeping, unpacked, set-up our room in a mutually agreed upon arrangement, purchased some items to fill in any gaps (don't worry dad, I collected all the receipts and we'll be reviewing them bi-weekly to square up any discrepancies), made lunch, and drank wine. Mama was very receptive to my insalata of arugula, mushrooms and parmagiano with a lemon, olive oil, balsamic dressing (thanks G).

Which brings us to now. Time to shower, and get our butts in gear to meet friends for a beer or two while taking in live music in the city centre. All-in, I'm feeling good, folks. I'm still a little bambi-legged, but overall, the feeling of puking is starting to dissipate. 

Thinking of all of you often. Hope all is well there. I heard lots of snow is coming in tonight! Can't say I'm sorry to be missing that. 

Be well and reach out! Miss you all so much!!!

Love always,
Jenna







 

No comments:

Post a Comment